October 19, 2007

Chicken Butt

I know I'm horrible but I've started calling my son Chicken Butt. He is 14 months old now and he still isn't walking. Sierra walked just a couple of days after her first birthday and Sienna was a late walker at 14 months. I think Levi should be any day now, but you never know with him. He does things in his own time, when he wants to, his way. Honestly, he's almost there. He's just scared. He'll take about two steps and then decide that he needs to drop to the floor and crawl. If what he wants is within 2 steps that's fine but three steps is absolutely out of the question. His couple of steps are strong though. Solid, not wobbly at all. He looks as though he could walk all over the house if he would just keep going (and I believe he could). This is what has led me to calling my son Chicken Butt.

However, today was different. Today Levi decided that he was going to do more than 2 steps. He was doing the entire distance of my living room (which is way more than 2 steps thankfully). He was standing at the coffee table and just turned toward the chair and took off, which was probably about 6-8 steps. That's a pretty big jump from just 2 steps. So I stood about 6 steps from him and held my hands out to him and here he came. For each step he took toward me I would take one step back. He just kept following me. We walked all the way to the end of the room and then turned and came back. He was even doing some side stepping all by himself. He just needs to know that something is there for him to get ahold of ~ he's a chicken butt. But it is typical Levi. Yesterday he refused to do anymore than 2 steps without touching something (even at therapy), today he is taking more than 6 steps without touching and he's doing turns and side steps. Wow, the difference a day can make. And, actually, that was all after his afternoon nap. Wow, what a difference a good nap can make.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go Levi!!!! He works on his own time table. I'm so proud of you Levi!!

Anonymous said...

It is now 10:25 at night and I want to call so bad...Your baby is walking? Why an I so excited?Luv ya..

Anonymous said...

I have to comment again. I'm always hearing horror stories my girls tell me about their childhood, on the names I called them (pumpkin, snookers, phooie, middle names) anyway girls, between Wendy calling Levi "chicken but" and Danielle dressing Isabelle up in a chicken outfit and having her dance to bluegrass" hummm...wonder what these little angels are going to say and laugh about their mothers? Luv you all....Mom

Emily Jade said...

You seem so excited now...you are cute! GO Levi!!!