November 01, 2007

Happy Halloween!



Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. I love getting the kids all dressed up and taking them out and about. Seeing all the other kids dressed up. Don't forget the doggies too!! It's just alot of fun. But when you really stop and think about it, it's kind of strange. We spend a life time telling our children NOT to talk to strangers, NEVER take candy from strangers and if any stranger ever approaches you RUN THE OTHER WAY SCREAMING LIKE A BANSHEE!! However, on October 31 forget all that because we're getting dressed up and going out in search of strangers to give us candy! Don't run away and be sure to say thank you. It's actually kind of twisted, really. But hey, it's still a load of fun. We'll talk about therapy later.

Sierra was a pirate girl this year. She really liked her costume and so did I. It was twice as nice because Brandon ended up going as a pirate too (a boy one of course). Lola, also, was a pirate. I felt like I had a whole gang of pirates begging for candy!



Sienna was a witch this year and Levi was a puppy. Sienna LOVED her costume. Levi, not so much. He REFUSED to wear his dog ears. He cried from the time I put him in his costume until the van pulled out the driveway. He acted traumatized!



We went trick or treating in Norwalk on Tuesday. I was the only grown up going but I felt confident because I had a plan. I told the children the plan and we executed the plan, perfectly. It was an awesome night! We all stayed together with ease. Sierra carried Levi's bucket for him since he was staying in the stroller. Brandon held Sienna's hand and kept a watchful eye on her all evening. No one got too excited or out of control. No one argued. Eventually Sierra got tired of carrying Levi's bucket and Sienna just tired. Brandon figured out that he was getting more candy by helping Sienna. Then he really turned on the charm at each house, being extra mindful of Sienna. It was quite cute. They all got TONS of candy. Way too much, honestly. Everyone loved Lola, of course. She got her picture taken several times by complete strangers. She even got to meet and sniff a few other dogs. No treats for Lola though. :( It was a really good time. I had a lot of fun with the kids.

Sierra had her Halloween party at school Wednesday afternoon. She wanted me to make dirt~n~worms for her school party. The girls love making this snack because it's such a big project and there is so much they get to help with. Sierra told me that she didn't want me coming to the school party this year. Well, she wanted me to come but not Sienna and Levi. I explained to her that we were a package deal so she went for 'no deal'. However, Wednesday morning she was hanging out the bathroom door soaking wet hollering for me. I thought something was wrong but no, she wanted to let me know that she had changed her mind and now wanted me (extras included) to come to the party. This made Sienna very happy because she LOVES going to Sierra's school parties. She even wore her costume this year. It was a lot of fun. They played a fun little game trying to wrap a classmate in toilet paper as a mummy. They got lots of cute little Halloween themed treats. Even our dirt~n~worms had a graveyard twist to it. (F.Y.I.~ ZooPals has a great new disposable cup with lid, 14 in the box for $2, not spill proof) It was a fun party and I'm so glad Sierra let us be a part of it with her!

Wednesday night we went trick or treating in Berlin Heights with Mom. Maddie got to with us this time, and Shell too. Maddie couldn't go Tuesday because she had basketball practice. Wednesday was alot of fun too but it wasn't as laid back as our Tuesday trip. There seemed to be so many more people in Berlin Heights than Norwalk. Way more 'big kids'. My theory is if you're big enough to go trick or treating on your own then you're too big to go. If you can't go with the family then don't go. I know that might seem harsh but let me explain. I wouldn't mind all the bigger kids if they would only be mindful of all the small children and families that go trick or treating. But they don't. They hang out in HUGE groups right on top of the sidewalks and try to act like they don't hear me hollering excuse me. They roll around in the grass acting all stupid. They come running up the sidewalks expecting everyone to move for them running into people. It really bothers me. Like I said, I don't care for them to trick or treat even though they were able to drive themselves there if they would just be mindful of the small children. Anyway, the kids got lots of candy, cider and a doughnut. Mom knew every single person we saw I think. Sienna got tired quick. She decided early on to get in the stroller. Maddie was a strong trooper carrying buckets for the little ones.

However, she scared the crap out of Levi. Once Shell put all that makeup on her face he was screaming. SCREAMING!! Any time he saw Maddie he would scream. We had to keep them strategically placed until it got dark. Now Shell, this girl kills me. I had to call her on the cell phone during trick or treating to ask where she was at and if she was joining us, with my son. She had the stroller with Levi in it and some how got separated from us while talking to an old friend. I wouldn't have given her such a hard time about it except that she had Levi. Still not a big deal except for the fact that the other kids had his bucket and was asking for a piece of candy for "my baby brother", however there was no baby brother anywhere in sight. Mom had to vouch for the kids a couple of times!! That's when I took the stroller away and gave Shell her timeout. I did eventually give her another a chance and she did very well with it. Overall, it was alot of fun, a nice couple of days.

6 comments:

Emily Jade said...

I have strict rules about the older ones trick or treating -

8th and out - 8th grade, you're done! You may, however, offer to help with a younger sib - you still score candy that way :O)

no more than 4 in a group - for reasons you stated. (A couple of years I wanted to put a big cowcatcher on the front of the stroller! Don't people understand how hard they are to manuever in grass?!?)

availability - cell phone MUST be answered at all times, complete with location and roll call.

Any outing with my gang all together is chaos, so I understand your frustration perfectly! I also understand the weird phenom that goes like this...
more adults+fun situation=
kids who are suddenly deaf, dumb and blind - OH...and senile - 'cause you just TOLD them how NOT to act!!!

Anonymous said...

In my defense I hadn't seen her in fifteen years, and the other one I was walking and talking. Brandon told me next year I wasn't going to be allowed to go trick or treating if I was going to stop and talk to people. He agreed with you that Tuesday went alot smoother than Wednesday night.

Emily Jade said...

who were you taling to?!? This could be juicy!

Unknown said...

I ran into Sally Ostheimer she has 2 kids-2 & 6. And Tara Sibert she has 3 girls oldest is 11. They are both married. I'm not sure what Sally's new name is, and Tara married Jeff from school. They both seem very happy.

Anonymous said...

We had alot of fun...I'd rather be with my family than any thing else. I'll admit it gets a little hectic but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
It's precious...that the kids still want me around. They are growing up so fast, it takes my breath away. I'm still dramatized over Sierra being an elf at Christmas!

Emily Jade said...

I forgot to ask - where did you get Sierra's costume? It looks awesome!