November 15, 2007

The First Born

Shell and I are always noticing similarities between our children that correspond to their order of birth. Nothing really too major, just a few little things. So, last night we were at Mom's celebrating her birthday. I noticed a new similarity that reaches beyond just our children.

First, though, I must give you a little back story. As Shell and I were growing up I asked Mom once why she would ask me to do more things than Shell. Things like ~ get me a pop, take the dog out, get me the phone~ little things like that. Mom's response was that I would just get up and do it without all the complaining that Shell would do.

So, last night as I was preparing the children's plates I asked Shell to grab Levi's cup and bib from his bag. However, it was Sienna that brought me Levi's cup. Shell actually asked her where the bib was at and sent her back for it. As I was getting onto Shell about making that poor baby girl do what I asked her to do, it hit me like a slap in the face. I remembered asking Mom that as a child and instantly realized that my girls are exactly like that. Sierra will complain and wine the whole way to the fridge and back but not Sienna. She sings the whole way there and back. As I'm saying this Shell says that Maddie is the same way and then I noticed~ all 3 first borns (Shell, Maddie, Sierra) were sitting at the table doing nothing (except talking and enjoying each other's company) while all the rest of us were busy. I was dealing with the food, Sienna was running Shell's errands for me, Brandon was playing with Levi, and Grami was getting something ready for Sienna. So, amongst all the activity there sat Shell, Sierra, & Madeline with nothing to do. This realization and what ensued from it was quite comical.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm going to pretend like I'm not reading this post. I'm not even going to defend myself, but please stay tuned for my new post that I will be posting soon.

Wendy said...

Ha ha. I didn't say anything bad, did I?

Anonymous said...

Isn't it nice to still feel like a kid?

Emily Jade said...

OH...I'm totally posting about THIS topic!! Stay tuned...

Emily Jade said...

I totally missed Maddies t-shirt in these pix!! That is TOO funny!!