June 03, 2008

Better Days, Please

It has been a really rough couple of weeks at my house. My kids are sick and just won't get better. It started when Levi got pink eye a couple of weeks ago. Anyone who has ever had to do administer eye drops to a 21 month old boy can tell you, this is NOT a pleasant experience, for anyone around. The girls would actually ask me to wait until they could get upstairs before I got the drops. The pink eye recheck was upped by a couple of days when all the kids woke up with fevers about a week later. The doctor appointment revealed that all three of them had ear infections in both ears. About 3 or 4 days later Sienna turned around and walked right into the door jam in the kitchen. She ending up vomiting which led us to the ER to discover that she had a mild concussion.

Three days later we were back at the doctor's office for a recheck on the concussion and to investigate a new fever that started that morning. Her head was doing fine but her ear infections were worse than before which meant that the antibiotic was being ineffective. We started a new antibiotic, Omnicef, which led to an allergic reaction resulting in a pink polka dot rash all over her body. Oh~ I forgot to mention that her and Levi had this nasty cough. It was very shallow and dry and lasted ALL night, NON STOP. I felt so bad for Sienna. She had it much worse than Levi.

Luckily, the day that the rash showed up we already had doctor appointments scheduled for the recheck on the ear infections. (How sad is that?) This doctor appointment revealed that Sierra was good to go and back to normal. Levi and Sienna not so much. They both still had the ear infections and now had Croup (sp?), as well. If you don't know what Croup is, it is a cough that restricts and enflames the air passage. This results in a sound similar to a seal barking, according to the doctor. I never would have guessed that's what a seal sounds like, but hey, whatever. So, they were given a steroid to open the air passage and new antibiotics.

We are finally starting to show signs of improvement, but it is a very slow road. The rash is almost gone but still slightly lingering. The cough no longer sounds like a 'seal barking'. That's good. That means that the air passages are open and normal. Now, the cough goes deep in the chest and I can hear things breaking up. So, I suppose that's good too. But it's still hard to listen to your children cough all night.

As we all know, it's terrible and heart breaking when your children are sick. It's so hard to force this medicine on them telling them it will make them better, only to find out that's it not making them better at all. In some situations, it makes them worse. But, slowly, we are improving. And that gives me hope.

June is finally here and this is the last week of school! I am so ready for summer and HOT weather. I'm talking high 90's! Sierra is getting ready to go to Myrtle Beach with Dad. She leaves on Friday and will be gone for an entire week. I'm going to miss her terribly but I am so excited for her. She is so excited. We all have things to look forward to and sometimes that has to be enough to get me through the day!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

oh that stinks! What a way to start the summer! I hope everyone is feeling better soon!

I administer eye drops at my clinics..and it's good times :) Usually I have mom or dad hold em down while I do the drops. I also have the element of surprise..that helps.

One hint: I have kids close thier eyes, put two drops in the inner corner and quickly pry open the eye just enough to let the drops seep in. Not sure if that would help for not...but worth a try!