November 21, 2009

Our Secret Language

Levi celebrated his 3rd birthday in August. It's hard to believe he's 3 already! I started him in preschool this year. It's a year earlier than I wanted to start him but his speech delay is so severe that everyone (therapists, case workers, etc) thought it would be a good idea. I was hesitant but went ahead and did it anyway. Surprisingly, he is doing really well at school. He transitions easily and has no behavior issues at school. His only issue now is his speech. He has come really far and is doing sooooo much better than 6 months ago. He does talk and attempt to express his thoughts with words. But at this point, it comes out like a secret language that only him and I speak. It's actually kind of cute (and a little frustrating for us both). He will get a word or two (3 on a really good day) and the rest is sounds (his attempt at words that won't form yet) and lots of hand motions and actions. It's actually pretty amazing, for a boy that can't speak well at all, he expresses himself very well. He's discovering new words everyday. He said brownie (his favorite food) the other day and I just about came undone. That's the first two syllable word (mama and dada don't count) he's said! He says his name now even though it sounds like Wewi. Sienna is YaYa and Sierra is DD. I think he calls Sierra DD because he is attempting to say Sissy and as for YaYa, I think that comes from the last sound in Sienna's name. He is talking but it is our secret language (which is better than none)!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're back on line!
You do realize I haven't seen these pictures, don't you? Grami

Danielle said...

I second Grami's comment. I'm glad you are back online! It's been forever since we've gotten an update! Yeah Levi!!